What is Helping Hands?
The Helping Hands Committee of volunteers with children in grades K–1 who participate in their child or children’s lunch period. You must have a child in First or Kindergarten to be able to volunteer for this committee. The children often need help with condiments, forgotten utensils, or opening containers. This allows for the children to have enough time to finish their lunch and makes the lunch period a much smoother process for the students.
Kindergarten will eat lunch from 11:45 am–12:15 pm. First grade will eat lunch from 12:30 pm-1:00 pm. You will be asked to volunteer for the full hour and 15 minutes of kindergarten and first grade lunch.
Policies and Procedures
You must have clearances that have been submitted and APPROVED by the district. Info on how to obtain clearances can be obtained at http://www.nhsd.net/whatclearancesdovolunteersneed.aspx. Additionally, please bring your drivers license into the school when you volunteer.
Submitting this form serves as an acknowledgement that you understand and will adhere to the following.
- Volunteers are allowed in the cafeteria from 11:45 – 1:00 ONLY. If you have older children you are not allowed to wait for their lunch periods and visit with them. Tip – you may have a better chance of seeing your older children by volunteering for Library Duty.
- We are not permitted to sit with our children and spend the 1/2 hour with your own child. We are there to help all children.
- Please do not use this time to confront other children that may not be getting along with your own child.
- Please do NOT bring in any OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK for your child or any other children. This includes fast food lunches, candy and treats.
- Please do not interfere with school employees interactions with the children, including discipline. We are in the cafeteria for a short window and seeing a small snippet of a situation that often is more than meets the eye.
- We are not permitted to assist at the Peanut Free table due to the risk of cross contamination. Only school employees are permitted to assist those students.
Failure to follow the above guidelines will result in the participant being removed from the program for the remainder of the current school year.
Once in the cafeteria, just grab some utensils, napkins and straws and wait for the kids to raise their hands for help with their packages etc. They may also ask you to help with condiments. Once a group is clear and headed to recess, please help wipe down tables for the next group. We typically help wipe down the tables before leaving. There are teachers and/or aides in the lunch room as well if you have questions.
Sign me up!
Please do not complete form unless your clearances have been APPROVED.
All participants (past volunteers included) must complete a new volunteer form each school year. Any questions should be directed to Helping Hands Chair, Heather Andrews at email@example.com